Friday, April 13, 2012

Friday the 13th

I never give much thought to Friday the 13th, but in watching the news today, there were multiple comments about being careful because today was Friday the 13th. I can’t help but to smile just a bit with all of the hoopla made over a day of the month. I have known people over the years who are terrified of this day. The fear of Friday the 13th will affect many decisions and plans that are made by those who are afraid.

I am not a superstitious person. My “luck” has not been changed by breaking a mirror, opening an umbrella in the house, walking under a ladder, having a black cat walk in front of me or stepping on a crack.

Superstitions seem to imprison people all over the world. The fear of Friday the 13th actually has a name given to it by the medical community - Triskaidekaphobia. What is the root of a superstition? Wouldn’t it be the lack of trust in God? I don’t know about you, but my God is in charge of everything in this world.  He is all powerful! Do we really think that God is going to cause bad things to happen because a mirror is broken?

Today on Friday the 13th I will choose to celebrate another day that God has given me to worship Him. Will you put away your fears and trust Almighty God?

Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the Lord your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.  Deuteronomy 31:6

No comments:

Post a Comment