Thursday, May 5, 2011

Grandmothers

On April 12 my Granny died unexpectedly. These past few weeks I have had an opportunity to reflect on my life and how my grandmothers have influenced me. I am and have been so blessed to have both of my grandmothers 41.5 years of my life. I feel so lucky to still have my other grandmother.

One of the many things I have learned from my grandmothers is how to love the Lord. My Granny did not attend church during my lifetime, but she read her Bible and constantly was studying and learning. My Nana has been an active church goer her entire life. She was a church secretary and she has held just about every position in the church, minus preacher. I have observed her throughout my life reading her Bible and as a child I can remember a basket with Christmas cards in them in the middle of the summer. When I asked her why they were still out, she explained to me that she pulled a card and prayed for that person/family that day. I have never forgotten that.

My Granny was always soft spoken and loved to laugh. One of the things that most impressed me is that she always saw the positive in every situation. No matter what was going on she would find something good to say. That is something that I have aspired to be, but fail so often. I just don't know how anyone can be positive in certain situations. When someone is mistreating someone that I love, I just find it hard to not be negative or say ugly things about that person. She would always give them the benefit of doubt. She would find somehow to see the positive that could come from the situation.

Both of my grandmothers have loved me with everything they are. I have spent an uncountable number of nights with them. They have both taught me so much. I look back at all the things they have taught me and I just don't know how I could possibly be me without their influence.

Over the past few weeks I have thanked the Lord so many times for being so blessed!

Proverbs 16:31 - Gray hair is a crown of glory; it is gained in a righteous life.

No comments:

Post a Comment