Saturday, April 30, 2011

Fear

STRONGHOLDS - I have heard about this word my entire life, but never comprehended what a stronghold really was. The Biblical definition of a stronghold is - Fortress - The Greek word for stronghold, taken literally, means a fortress. It is used in the Bible also as a metaphor to represent things that are based only on human confidence or pride, as opposed to those that rely on God's input and guidance.

Recently, God revealed to me that fear is a huge stronghold in my life. I haven't been a person of fear all of my life, but sometime in the last 10 years I have let my fear control me. Over the past few months, I have had friends praying for me, and through them God has given me verses that are helping me tremendously. When I began meditating over and over again on these verses I have been amazed at the peace that God has given me.

What also has become a realization to me is that fear is the opposite of trusting God. I can relate to Mark 9:24 - Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!” This seems to be something that I say often. This is not where I want to be. I want to be like Jesus when he was asleep in the boat during the storm. I want to be like Jesus and trust and have faith that will let me sleep through the "storm" knowing that my Father is in control.

Mark 4:37-40 --- A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped. Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, “Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?”  He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.  He said to his disciples, “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?”

I know that I will be able to move towards this goal. The key ingredients are prayer and meditation on God's word. I am clay being molded into the best child of God that I can be.

Love to You All!

No comments:

Post a Comment