Saturday, May 12, 2012

Being a Parent is Hard

Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6

The Word of God is always relevant, but how can we share it with our kids so they will get it?

One of the things that I have learned is that you have to walk the walk. Our kids are watching everything we do. We can't tell our kids to not lie and then tell the salesman on the phone that the man/woman of the house isn't at home. Sure, that is a "harmless" lie, but our kids are watching us. We say telling lies is wrong with our mouth, but with our actions we are showing them it is okay to lie. We tell our kids to follow rules and obey the law, but then we speed on the way to church to not be late or we don't worry about the item that we didn't get charged for at Target. My child has confronted me many times with things that I have told her to not do. I didn't even realize that I was doing those things, but it was a great opportunity for me to tell my child that she was right. I shouldn't have been doing these things. I also explained to her that I needed to ask God for forgiveness.


Another thing that I have learned is that I should be mirroring God's love and forgiveness with me, towards my child. I honestly must confess that I have failed often. Just sitting here writing this my daughter and her friend are being so LOUD and the dog is going crazy barking and I am getting frustrated. It is very hard to be nice when you are frustrated. It is hard to be a good parent when you are tired. It is hard to be a good parent when you are angry. WOW, it is just hard to be a good parent.


One of the books I read when my daughter was much younger was Grace-Based Parenting by Dr. Tim Kimmel. This book is wonderful and it helped mold my parenting. Dr. Kimmel teaches us how to parent like God parents us. It really made me change the way I parented. Believe me I still fail often, but at least my foundation is solid. If you haven't read this book, then I would highly recommend you do so. It is an easy read, but it is a life changing read.

No comments:

Post a Comment